Prepare your taste buds for an explosion of flavor with the ultimate Beef Bacon Patty Melt Burger. Imagine two juicy, seasoned beef patties generously studded with crispy bacon, their savory aroma mingling with the tangy sweetness of caramelized onions. Each golden-brown patty is then nestled between melty slices of Swiss cheese, creating a gooey, irresistible center. All this deliciousness is sandwiched between buttery, toasted rye bread, offering a satisfying crunch with every bite.
For the Patty
- 1 pound ground beef (80/20 lean-to-fat ratio)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
For the Sandwich
- 2 slices rye bread
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Optional: Dijon mustard, sliced pickles, ketchup
- Meat thermometer
- Mixing bowl
- Grill pan or skillet
INSTRUCTIONSstep 1 Preheat:
Heat your grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. If using a skillet, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. While the pan heats up, prepare the patty.step 2 Mix the patty:
In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, chopped bacon, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix gently until just combined, avoiding overworking the meat.step 3 Form the patty:
Divide the beef mixture into two equal portions and gently shape them into patties slightly larger than the diameter of your bread slices. Using your thumb, make a small indentation in the center of each patty to prevent them from puffing up in the middle while cooking.step 4 Cook the patty:
Place the patties in the preheated pan and cook for 2-3 mins per side, or until browned and a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the patty reaches 145°F for medium-rare, 160°F for medium, or 170°F for well-done.step 5 Toast the bread:
While the patties cook, toast the rye bread slices in your toaster to your desired level of crispness.step 6 Build the sandwich:
Spread a thin layer of butter on one side of each toasted bread slice. On the other side of one slice, spread Dijon mustard if using. Layer one slice of Swiss cheese, followed by the cooked patty, the caramelized onions (if using), and another slice of Swiss cheese. Top with the second toasted bread slice, buttered side down.step 7 Melt and serve:
Place the assembled sandwich back in the pan over medium heat and press down gently with a spatula to help melt the cheese. Cook for 1-2 mins per side, or until golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.step 8
Enjoy! Carefully cut the sandwich in half and serve hot with sliced pickles and ketchup, if desired.
- For extra flavor, add a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce or BBQ sauce to the ground beef mixture.
- If you don't have a grill pan, you can also cook the patties on a regular grill or in a preheated oven at 400°F for 15-20 mins, or until the desired internal temperature is reached.
- To caramelize the onions, simply cook them in a separate pan with olive oil over medium heat until softened and golden brown, about 10-15 mins.
- Feel free to get creative with your toppings! Add a fried egg, avocado slices, or your favorite burger sauce.